messages log

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 29 20:37:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:50:31AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:43:26PM +0800, winterain_lyn wrote:
> > does any1 know the format or template of messages log of fedora?
> > because i need it for our prject --- parsing of log files...
> > thanks :)
>
> Look at `man syslogd`. Is this a school project, or a practical one?

The OP should also look at "logger" and  "syslog(3)" the system log module.

The important point to grock is that almost anything might be logged
and that in the extreme there is no single template that will cover
all the messages beyond the first couple 'words'.

A strong starting place to understand this is logwatch and logwatch
source.

   logwatch (8) - system log analyzer and reporter

logwatch has modules that know the details of lots of things.
See: /etc/log.d/conf/services/*

N.B. (Note well) that /var/log/messages is only the most common log
file but syslog and various applications can be configured to organize
log information in lots of different ways and places.  Some log files
are intended for public consumption and others are not, permissions of
the files and reports will thus vary.

See also logrotate and rotatelogs....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l