New Install Idea

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Sun Jan 30 01:31:44 UTC 2005

> Another idea (as already pointed out) would be to have a LiveCD install
> only which would only download and install the packages to the chroot'ed
> disk environment, without installing packages from the CD, this would
> require a QUITE fast connection (something in the order of 6Mbits/s)

I 'only' have 512k. As it stands I have to download 2gigs of CD images, then
another few gigs of upgrades. This means I download a lot of software on the
ISOs that I never use, and anything I *do* use will almost certainly be
downloaded twice.

As far as I can see, the option of a internet installation would save
downloading, and is therefore better for low bandwidth users than the CD+yum
approach.

--
Jim