"Bad interpreter" shell messages

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 30 03:55:06 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:

>On Saturday 29 January 2005 22:32, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to run a small shell script to supply options to the
>>configure script in postgresql 8.0, which was released a few days ago.
>>When I try to do this in Fedora Core 3, I get thiis mesage:
>>
>>bash: ./configit.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
>>
>>I'm doing this from a second hard drive that I've mounted. The second
>>drive has an older release of Fedora Core on it:
>>
>>[rlc at bobcp4 postgresql-8.0.0]$ pwd
>>/mnt/any/home/rlc/postgresql-8.0.0
>>
>>Here is the directory listing for the script I want to execute:
>>
>>-rwxrwxr-x   1 rlc rlc    155 Jan 29 22:22 configit.sh
>>
>>What am I doing wrong -- why am I getting the "Permission denied" messages?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Bob Cochran
>>

>The error you're getting is not about the script itsself but the interpreter
>used for it.. Look at the first line of configit.sh - it should start with
>#!/bin/sh
>what's the output of "ls -la /bin/sh" ?
>Also do you have selinux enabled?
>
>Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes it does start with #! /bin/sh. The output you requested:

[rlc at bobcp4 ~]$ ls -la /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4 Nov 11 09:35 /bin/sh -> bash

selinux is disabled on this system.

However, I just moved the postgresql-8.0.0 directory from
/mnt/any/home/rlc to ~/ . What we are seeing is a bit confusing because
the source directory is on a separate drive that has an older Fedora
Core system and also had a user account on /home/rlc. Anyhow after
moving the build directory, the script started working! Configure ran
and gmake ran. I seem to be running into permissions problems of some sort.

Thanks for your help!

Bob