Problem to configure my external USB CD-burner with FC2

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 05:52:34 UTC 2005

dellache at CRM.UMontreal.CA wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have an external USB combo CD-RW/DVD R. Despite I have succeeded to
>mount my CD-Rom, I do not succeed to configure the CD-burner (see below
>for example what I obtain with the command line "# cdrecord -scanbus").
>
>My linux distribution is a Fedora Core 2.6.5-1.358
>
>The /etc/fstab file contains the line
>
>/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660,noauto,owner,ro 0 0
>
>Is-there someone who could help me to configure my laptop for my CD-Rw
>burner ? Is there any bug in this Fedora 2.6.5 ? (by the way : the CD-rw
>is ok with my windose partition).
>
>Thank you for the info !
>
>Stéph
>

># cdrecord -scanbus
>Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
>Jörg Schilling
>Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
>Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
>Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
><warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
>Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
>version.
>scsidev: 'ATA'
>devname: 'ATA'
>scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
>cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open
>SCSI driver.
>cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
>root.
>cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Steph, the fstab definition of your cd/dvd device is that of ro (read
only).  It needs to be changed to rw.

You should also check your /etc/cdrecord.conf file and make sure that
the device is shown there as your CDR_DEVICE.  Also, unless you want to
limit your use of the device to times when you are logged in as root,
change the cdrecord permissions to allow other users to execute the
program with write priveleges.