Broadband???

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jan 30 14:19:23 UTC 2005

Markus Huber writes:

> Seng Lee wrote:
>
>> Can someone pls tell / teach me how to setup my broadband connection
>> using GNOME ( Fedora Core 3 ) because i can't seem to get it to work
>> by just configuring it with GNOME's built-in internet connection
>> wizard.... btw i'm a newbie with Linux/Fedora. Thanks a milion.
>
> DSL? Cable?

Why should it matter, if you have a real Internet provider?

The best way to set up broadband is to use a real Internet provider, instead
of a provider of some proprietary network technology who offers some clunky,
custom-made hardware, and buggy Windows drivers as the only means of access.

With a real Internet provider, you'll get an ordinary Ethernet port.  You
can use any network card supported in Linux, plug in an ordinary cable,
enter the IP address your provider assigned to you, the netmask, the default
router IP address, and your provider's DNS servers' IP addresses, and you're
done.