Firefox, Thunderbird and %#$@* Evolution

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 30 16:48:19 UTC 2005

FC3, KDE

I have been attempting to find a way to migrate from Mozilla to Firefox
and Thunderbird.  So far, everything has gone pretty well EXCEPT that
when I wanted to email a web page from within Firefox, that option was
not available.  The only choice is to "Send Link".  That's acceptable
and definitely more friendly for those who are still using dialup
connections but the deal breaker for me is that it wants to use
Evolution and I don't/won't.  I have looked in the prefs.js file, in
about:config and in the handful of options available under Edit  -->
preferences and haven't exactly been inundated with clues. In the Help
section, I find this jewel:

              Send Link...

        Opens an email composition window using your computer's default
        email program so you can send a message with a link to the
        current page. This feature is currently only available on
        Windows, Mac OS X and OS/2.

      ...which is about as useful as "How may I help you today" on the
      back of Walmart employees vests.

I tried removing evolution from another machine that I don't mind
wrecking and sure enough, evolution didn't try to start. Neither did any
other mail client, as in NOP.

Any ideas short of doing a fresh install and specifically omitting
evolution?