[installation +updates of packages]pb with YUM

Daniel Moyne dmoyne at tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 31 11:35:08 UTC 2005

Le lundi 31 Janvier 2005 09:41, Paul Howarth a écrit :
> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 20:06 +0100, Daniel Moyne wrote:
> > thanks to yout info on GRUB configuration I aws able to boot fromm LILO
> > on to GRUB ans select any of 2 separate kernels ; I stll have to set
> > resolution and vga=791 as in LILO dos nor work maybe I need hexadecimal
> > value ? That will be all for today !
> Just add:
> vga=791
> to the end of the "kernel" line(s) in your grub.conf file.
Paul, it does not work but it is not really important.
> > I was not able to properly configure GRUB files to have it running well ;
> > it is hanging ; "grub-install" works fine but I am not sure it builds
> > correctly the files : it just builds from some configuration files you
edit
> > first ; do you knowx of a GRUB editor allowing choice of kernel to build a
> > correct GRUB configuration with all the wished entries ?
> You could try GrubConf (http://grubconf.sourceforge.net/). I've no idea
> what it's like and whether it'll do what you want though.
Apparently nothing to configure Grub !

I want to load a kernel source ; for the time being using some info from the
list my packages sources for YUM are like this :
[fedora-stable]
name=Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
baseurl=http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.stable
  http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.stable
  http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/$releasever/2/RPMS.stable
  http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/2/RPMS.stable
#gpgcheck=1

[fedora-unstable]
name=Fedora.us Extras (Unstable)
baseurl=http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
  http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
  http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
  http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
  http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
#gpgcheck=1

[fedora-testing]
name=Fedora.us Extras (Testing)
baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
  http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
  http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
  http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
  http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
#gpgcheck=1

###############
## Livna.org ##
###############

[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
  http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
#gpgcheck=1

[livna-unstable]
name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
  http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
#gpgcheck=1

[livna-testing]
name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.testing
  http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/testing
#gpgcheck=1

Would you consider this as good even with "unstable" and "testing" ; I have
installed SYNAPTIC and for some packages with only this entry for packages
sources :
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/

In any case I want synaptic to use the same parameters as YUM but the way they
are listed with variables in URL it is not obvious to paste them there !

To download a kernel source to be installed in "/usr/src" I assume I have to
select "kernel-sourcecode" ?
Regards.

--
kernel 2.4                            / --- \