[installation +updates of packages]pb with YUM

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jan 31 11:41:53 UTC 2005

Daniel Moyne wrote:
> [...]
>
> edit
>
>>>first ; do you knowx of a GRUB editor allowing choice of kernel to build a
>>>correct GRUB configuration with all the wished entries ?
>>
>>You could try GrubConf (http://grubconf.sourceforge.net/). I've no idea
>>what it's like and whether it'll do what you want though.
>
> Apparently nothing to configure Grub !
>
> I want to load a kernel source ; for the time being using some info from the
> list my packages sources for YUM are like this :
> [fedora-stable]
> name=Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
> baseurl=http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.stable
>   http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.stable
>   http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/$releasever/2/RPMS.stable
>   http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/2/RPMS.stable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [fedora-unstable]
> name=Fedora.us Extras (Unstable)
> baseurl=http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
>   http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
>   http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
>   http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
>   http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [fedora-testing]
> name=Fedora.us Extras (Testing)
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
>   http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
>   http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
>   http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
>   http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/2/$basearch/RPMS.testing
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> ###############
> ## Livna.org ##
> ###############
>
> [livna-stable]
> name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
> baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
>   http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [livna-unstable]
> name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
> baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
>   http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [livna-testing]
> name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
> baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.testing
>   http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/testing
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> Would you consider this as good even with "unstable" and "testing" ; I have
> installed SYNAPTIC and for some packages with only this entry for packages

As you're a new user of Fedora, I'd suggest not using the testing or
unstable repositories for now. Otherwise you'll end up with buggy
packages from time to time. I was also uncomment the gpgcheck lines;
there really is no reason not to use gpg checks. Importing the right GPG
keys is something you only have to do once and it's worth the hassle of
finding the right keys for the security benefits.

As for whether the repos are a good choice, I'll leave that for others
to comment on as I don't use any of them myself.

> In any case I want synaptic to use the same parameters as YUM but the way they
> are listed with variables in URL it is not obvious to paste them there !
>
> To download a kernel source to be installed in "/usr/src" I assume I have to
> select "kernel-sourcecode" ?

No, there is no kernel-sourcecode RPM in Fedora core. If you want to
build your own kernel, follow the instructions at:
http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

Paul.