RH9 -> FC3: no upgrade offered

Jean-Louis Leroy jll at soundobjectlogic.com
Mon Jan 31 13:28:12 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a computer running Red Hat 9 (Shrike). I'd like to upgrade to
FC3. Unfortunately, the (graphical) installer doesn't seem to
recognize the presence of a previous installation and does not offer
to upgrade it.

Here's my partition list:

/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda6 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /var type ext3 (rw)

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that this is a purely SCSI
computer? However, the installer does load the appropriate SCSI
modules during the pre-graphical phase; and the bottom of anaconda.log
shows that apparently it goes look for things there:

* moving (1) to step language
* moving (1) to step keyboard
* running ['/usr/X11R6/bin/setxkbmap', '-layout', 'us', '-model', 'pc105', '-option', '']
* moving (1) to step findrootparts
* isys.py:mount()- going to mount /tmp/sda1 on /mnt/sysimage
* isys.py:mount()- going to mount /tmp/sda2 on /mnt/sysimage
* isys.py:mount()- going to mount /tmp/sda5 on /mnt/sysimage
* isys.py:mount()- going to mount /tmp/sda6 on /mnt/sysimage
* isys.py:mount()- going to mount /tmp/sda7 on /mnt/sysimage
* moving (1) to step installtype
* Detected 2032M of memory
* Swap attempt of 1000M to 2000M
* moving (1) to step partitionmethod