Startup Scrpts

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jan 31 17:32:48 UTC 2005

paul lawrence wrote:
> I am new to the world of linux, for my sins I have been entirely a
> Microsoft person; untill now,  and I need some advice on how to do
> something.
>
> I have a server running Fedora Core 3, with Resin.
>
> I want to be able to create a startup script that will set some
> environment variables for Java, start up Resin and the call two custom
> scripts I have been given.  I have been playing around with a file
> called resin-a.sh which a web site suggested creating to run the
> commands I want.
>
>  From a promt, if I type the following the variables are set OK, but if
> I include them in the resin-a.sh file and type sh resin-a.sh  they are
> not set.
>
> export set JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06
> export set RESIN_HOME=/usr/local/resin
> export set PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06/bin

Actually they are set but only within the environment of the script
itself. Unix scripts, unlike Windows batch files, cannot change the
environment of their parent process. Once the script terminates, so does
the shell running it and you're back with the environment you started
with. However, this should not be a problem in your application, since
you'll be starting up resin within your script and it will inherit the
right environment. If you want to convince yourself of this, put an
"env" command at the end of your script to print out the environment.

> I also want to somehow include in this script a startup command for
> httpd.sh to start the resin web server and also to call to other scripts.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated, as I said I am completely new to
> this and its a little confusing.

Try:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
for a guide to bash scripting.

P.S. please post in plain text to this mailing list.

Paul.