FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 31 18:22:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 08:29 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> > James Mckenzie wrote:
> >> James McKenzie
> >> A Proud User of Linux!
> > What will it take for Sun to really look into their Linux (and Solaris
> > for that matter) JavaVM. Currently the best performing JavaVM is the one
> > for Microsoft systems and it is not even written by Sun!! (the Microsft
> > JavaVM)

What do you men "best performing"?.  speed?, quality?, features?, or
exactly what are you defining this as?

I don't use anything but the Sun VM so I can't compare. However, I am
very satisfied with what I get.

> But it isn't to the Java Standard.  MS lost the court battle over this
> one.

IIRC, not only did M$ lose the battle about code rights, they have
deviated greatly from the java standards.  Thus any code written to use
their vm and it's features is likely to fail to function correctly on a
vm that complies with the standards.

The best bet is to use the JRE package from Sun and be certain that all
the code it runs is compliant with standards.  Any java programs that do
not work with the Sun vm are likely not standards compliant.