stupid spamassassin tricks

Mon Jan 31 19:10:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 11:59 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> slugging through an awkward issue with spamassassin on my home server.
>
> I am using fetchmail to get mail from my ISP - who in essence, has
> already accepted delivery.
>
> I have an email in my box which fetchmail keeps retrieving and
> spamassassin is rejecting it - which is kind of an endless loop.
>
> Specifically, I am running spamassassin & spamass-milter (milter via
> sendmail).
>
> I currently have the following options to spamd set...
>
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin
> SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -a -m5 -H -L -x -u smmsp"
>
> hoping that the '-L' option would serve the purpose...it hasn't
>
> Any suggestions? Right now, it is only 1 email but these things have a
> way of snowballing.
>
> TIA
>
> Craig

Why not just use procmail as the means to filter your e-mail.

Set up a ~/.procmail file, with the following:

# Scan with SpamAssasin
:0 fw
# This sets: "X-Spam-Status: Yes"
# First setting only scans e-mails < 256k bytes
* < 256000
| /usr/bin/spamc -f

I happen to use postfix instead of sendmail, but I am doing the same
thing, using fetchmail to get the e-mail from two ISP accounts. I filter
them through SA (I also use clamassassin to filter via ClamAV) via
procmail.

This sets the proper header in the e-mails and I then use my mail app
client to get the e-mails from /var/spool/UserName with a filter on the
appropriate headers.

I also have the following SA options set:

SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -L -m2 -H"

HTH,

Marc Schwartz