Options For Installing Fedora To Older Laptop

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jan 31 23:59:20 UTC 2005

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:50:10 +0100
>Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
>

>>It will help anyone, the miswritten file was having the spelling
>>programme look for a match to all availabloe ditionaries - it was never
>>designed for that. I had it going up to 720MB of my memory on a right-
>>click.
>>

>No wonder my laptop went swap-crazy. :)
>
>I used to use OpenOffice 1.0 on a P233 laptop with 96MB of RAM (Redhat 9
>as the OS), and aside from the initial loading time, it worked quite well.
> Has the memory footprint gone up THAT much with the 1.1 series, or is
>the other poster's pain associated with this dictionary bug?

Yeah... I'm affraid OOo 1.1.3 has a bit too big memory foot print to be
useable on a 128Mb System... The whole OOo package should do something
about their loading times and their memory footprint... I mean, you
"only" open an app at a time, is it really necesary to initialize the
whole spreadsheet-like subroutines when you load writer? Couldn't that
be dynamic? (I don't have the slightest idea on how is OOo designed, so
I couldn't say).