How do you install an sh program?

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Fri Jul 1 10:15:01 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Benjamin Sher wrote:
>
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> This is an image manipulation program called XNView. I just
>> downloaded the source tarball. But I can't figure out how to install
>> this program. It must be simple. And I have installed sh programs
>> before but there is usually an install.sh file. Not here. So, how do
>> I install it, please? I wrote to the author but just got a reply that
>> he is on vacation.
>>
>> [sher at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]$ ls -l
>> total 180
>> drwxrwxr-x 2 sher sher 4096 Jul 1 04:24 app-defaults
>> drwxrwxr-x 2 sher sher 4096 Jul 1 04:24 bin
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 sher sher 25778 Feb 18 2004 Formats.txt
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 sher sher 2982 Feb 18 2004 install
>> drwxrwxr-x 2 sher sher 4096 Jul 1 04:24 lib
>> drwxrwxr-x 2 sher sher 4096 Jul 1 04:24 man
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 sher sher 304 Feb 18 2004 nconvert.sh
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 sher sher 4824 Feb 18 2004 ReadMe.txt
>

> What does ReadMe.txt say?
>
> Paul.

Dear Paul and friends:

I know it sounds amazing that an author would not include installation
instructions in his ReadMe.txt file, but here, for the record, is
complete transcript of the file. I don't believe there are any such
instructions.

Benjamin

sher at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]$ cat ReadMe.txt
Nconvert v4.16
XnView v1.68
GFL SDK v2.02

Copyright (c) 1991-2004 Pierre-E Gougelet
All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer
==========

Installing and using these software (Nview, Nconvert, View2, XnView)
signifies acceptance of these terms and conditions of the license.

XnView/NConvert are provided as Freeware for private non-commercial or
educational use (including non-profit organization)

You are granted the right to use and to make an unlimited number of
copies of this software.

For commercial use and distribution, it is necessary to register. It is
a help for the development of future versions.

These software are provided "as-is".
No warranty of any kind is expressed or implied.
The author will not be liable for data loss, damages, loss of profits or
any other kind of loss while using or misusing this software.

Any suggestions, feedback and comments are welcome.

Homepage
========

E-Mail: webmaster at xnview.com
pierre.g at wanadoo.fr

Web site : http://www.xnview.com
http://www.xnview.net
http://www.xnview.org
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g

NewsGroup : http://newsgroup.xnview.com

Platforms
=========

ATARI ST, STe, Falcon, TT and compatible
PC x86 DOS
PC x86 Windows 3.1x, 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 & Xp
PC x86 Linux v2.x (X Window & Lesstif/openMotif)
PC x86 FreeBSD v3.x (X Window & Lesstif/openMotif)
Silicon Graphics IRIX v5.2 and above
Sun Solaris v2.5.1 and above
Solaris x86 v8.0
HP-UX v11.0 and above
AIX v4.2 and above
BeOS v5.0 and above
MacOS X

GIF/TIFF LZW reading/writing:
-------------------
You need to purchase a license because LZW is a patented algorithm.
More information is available on http://www.unisys.com

JBIG reading/writing:
-------------------
You need to purchase a license because JBIG is a patented format.
More information is available on http://www.ibm.com and http://www.jpeg.org/

Copyright:
---------

LibJPEG 6b - http://www.ijg.org
This software is copyright (C) 1991-1998, Thomas G. Lane. All Rights
Reserved

PNGLib 1.0.8 - http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/
Copyright (c) 1995, 1996 Guy Eric Schalnat, Group 42, Inc. (libpng
versions0.5, May 1995, through 0.89c, May 1996)
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997 Andreas Dilger (libpng versions 0.90, December
1996, through 0.96, May 1997)
Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 Glenn Randers-Pehrson (libpng versions
0.97,January 1998, through 1.0.5, October 15, 1999)

Zlib 1.1.4 - http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler

JIF - http://jeff.cafe.net/jif/
(c) Jeff Tupper

Credits:
--------

Solaris version : Tobias Oetiker
HP-UX version : Philippe Choquert
AIX version : Philippe Choquert

Translation:
------------
German : Axel C. Burgbacher, Helmut Mueller
Italian : Alexandro F.Proietti, Armando R. La Mura
Russian : Igor Alikin, Alexander Gorbylev
Spanish : Jorge A. Montes P�ez
Swedish : M�ten Mellberg, Olof T�nqvist
Estonian : Ahti Kaskpeit
Dutch : Michiel Oosterhagen, Theo Eering
Czech : Petr Bohdan
Portuguese (Brazilian) : Paulo Neto
Portuguese : Ant�io Eduardo Marques
Hungarian : Jozsef Herczeg
Danish : Allan Bergmann Jensen
Polish : Sergiusz Klimkiewicz, Tomasz Fiszer
Greek : Symeon Charalabides
Bulgarian : Denis Ivajlov
Slovak : Lucas Sivak, Peter Cipov
Japanese : Yong Wei, Motomatsu Nobuhiro
Slovene : Grega Fajdiga
Byelorussian : Alexander Gorbylev
Arabic : Mohammad Deeb
Ukrainian : Taras Domansky
Chinese simplified : Alexander Yang, Roy Yao
Chinese traditional : Frank Liu, Alexander Yang
Romanian : Ioan Russu
Korean : Kim Wooyoung
Catalan : Jess Corrius
Finish : Jouni Paulus
Norwegian : Lillian Solum, Lasse Drageset
Galician : Fernando Coello
Hebrew : Eitan Gilboa
Tha� : Thanachai Wachiraworakam
Croatian : Josip Sinkovic
Afrikaans : Samuel Murray
Lithuanian : Linas Grinius
Turkish : Ibrahim Kutluay
Serbian : Nik Vukovljak
Vietnamese : Ton, Quang Toai & Vo, Khanh Kim Van
Malaysian : Ooi Ghee Tiong
Basque : Axier Lopez
Icelandic : Svanur P�sson
Latvian : Aldis Priednieks, Aldis Putelis
Uzbek : Sherzod Mamatkulov

Beta-tester :
Claude Charries, Pierre Kueny, Michael O'Leary, Laurent Olivares, Beno�
Mirada, Jerome Quintard, ...

[sher at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]$