gnome-panel memory hogging resolved

Kazutoshi Morioka morioka at at.wakwak.com
Fri Jul 1 16:14:16 UTC 2005

memory hogging is occur when:
1) /usr/local is NFS mounted by autofs
2) The recentry-used-file entry exists in ~/.recentry-used

If these conditions are set, gnome-panel was woken up repeatedly about once per second.
The gnome-panel dose mmap for icon-theme.cache every time woken up, and don't munmap.
The gnome-panel will become larger until memory is exhausted.

Workaround is to stop NFS mount /usr/local by autofs.