Recommened Tape Backup software

Julian Underwood mailings at underwoods.net
Sat Jul 2 14:41:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 08:39 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

> I use Legato NetWorker at work, and had long hoped that I could get
> something like that for home use. Then I found bacula (www.bacula.org)
> and I was happy :-) Bacula's based on Networker, can append to multiple
> tapes and keeps a database of everything backed up, so it's possible to
> recover files from specific dates etc. You need to think a bit about how
> to set things up at first, but once it's running it's very smooth.
>
> See also:
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2005/04/07/bacula.html
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I'm backing up about 350GB of
data.  I had considered Bacula before, but was afraid of the
requirements.  However I dove into it and have it up and running,
currently backing up my data.  It seems to be an extremely well put
together project and the documentation is very readable and clear.

Thanks again!

Julian