Lost Grub after some days(RAID)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Jul 4 14:04:17 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 04.07.2005 schrieb Cleber Lecheta Franchini um 15:52:

>    I had 2 servers installed last week with FC3 using 2 ATA disks to
> do a RAID 1. Everithing wass great, but today a ask one machine to
> reboot and it had lost the grub. A machine of a friend using software
> raid 1 and grub had the same problem. Someone can tell me why this
> happen?

Anaconda does not install grub to both RAID1 drives' MBRs by its own.
You have to do that manually. Several postings here on the list tell you
how, or see

http://www.dirigo.net/tuxTips/avoidingProblems/GrubMdMbr.php

So I suspect either your RAID1 failed and system tries to boot from the
non failing drive or grub was installed on the drive the system normally
does not boot from.

Alexander

Serendipity 16:01:20 up 8 days, 22:53, load average: 1.03, 1.10, 0.63