Compaq WIFI card not recognized by FC4

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 03:28:23 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 7/6/05, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Jonathan Berry wrote:

>>>If you read really closely, you'll see that the command I wrote was:
>>>yum list "kernel-module-ndiswrapper*"
>>>
>>>Notice the quotes and the *.  You have to give it the kernel version
>>>as well.  The * matches anything else so you will see all the kernel
>>>versions.  Regardless, since you are up-to-date, you can just run the
>>>other command I gave you.
>>>
>>>yum install kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
>>>
>>>By the way, the practice on this list is not to "top post" (meaning
>>>putting your reply above what you are replying to).  It's preferred if
>>>you place your reply inline (like I have done) or below the original
>>>text.  This makes it easier to see the discussion flow.
>>>
>>>Jonathan
>>>
>>>[snip]
>>>[references]

>>Thanks for the insight on the post rules, sorry for the violation.  For whatever reason whenever I
>

> No problem.
>

>>ran that command that you gave me it wouldn't install properly but once I rebooted my machine it
>>actually worked.  Im not sure why rebooting worked but Im happy that it does.
>

> Quite strange indeed.  But, hey, if it's working...
>

>>So I ran I have started on my last few commands:
>>[root at Whistler scripts]# modprobe ndiswrapper
>>[root at Whistler scripts]# iwconfig wlan0 essid ***
>>[root at Whistler scripts]# iwconfig wlan0 key ****
>>[root at Whistler scripts]# dhcpcd wlan0
>>-bash: dhcpd: command not found
>>
>>So now I'm wondering did I type this command wrong?
>

> On Fedora it's called "dhclient" instead of "dhcpd"  Not sure why,
> perhaps it is different.  Running "dhclient wlan0" should get you in
> business, assuming everything else is correct.  You probably should
> check your auth settings for WEP.  If you are using open
> authentication you will need to change your key command to:
> iwconfig key open ****
> If you are used restricted (also called shared key) authentication,
> then the default is fine.  You can run just "iwconfig" to see if you
> have associated with your AP (if you see the essid, then you have
> associated).
>
> Jonathan

Thanks that was the last step I needed:

[root at Whistler network-scripts]# dhclient wlan0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.2
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

/sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for wlan0 not found. Continuing with defaults.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions: line 51: wlan0: No such file or directory
Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:90:4b:9f:**:**
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:90:4b:9f:**:**
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPOFFER from "dhcp server"
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from "dhcp server"
/sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for wlan0 not found. Continuing with defaults.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions: line 51: wlan0: No such file or directory
bound to 192.168.11.10** -- renewal in 40342 seconds.

When I do an ifconfig -a I get:

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:4B:9F:**:**
          inet addr:192.168.*.*  Bcast:192.168.*.*  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::290:4bff:fe9f:999e/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:6812 (6.6 KiB)  TX bytes:1472 (1.4 KiB)
          Memory:e8100000-e8101fff

So it looks like I got an address so I think that I'm pretty good here.  Actually I just unplugged
from the wire and I am able to send this.

Thanks for all of you help, I would have not been able to get this far without it.