simple ping; pinging 101

Lai Zit Seng lzs at pobox.com
Thu Jul 7 06:06:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

> glad to know that my experiment is doomed to failure, that's valuable
> data (err, that might sound sarcastic but I'm serious).

Having any results is valuable :)

> since the experiment is flawed, I'll drop it in favor of two
> experiments.  experiments #1 and #2 are, lets say, unrelated to each
> other.
>
> experiment #1:
>
> ping from the arrakis built-in NIC to caladan.
>
> experiment #2:
>
> ping from the arrakis D-Link NIC to caladan.
>
> there are obvious similarities, but for my purposes the experiments
> are totally independant of each other.
>
> All I'm looking for at this stage is to be able to reproduce the
> (succesful) results.  is that a better approach?

In this case, it is probably best to simply 'up' only specifically the
network interface of the respective NIC you want the experiment to use :)

What are the experiments supposed to achieve/demonstrate/etc? Perhaps you
could consider to use different subnet addresses, one each for the NICs on
arrakis, and then both subnet addresses configured together (ip aliasing)
on the same interface of caladan.

Regards,

.lzs