Multi-monitor support (more than 2-heads) in FC4

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Fri Jul 8 14:02:16 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 July 2005 23:05, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 22:26 -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> > Why would there be a problem with that? I'm running dual 20" flat panels
> > of a agp nvidia card and a 19" panel on an ati pci card - works great.
>
> You are running without Xinerama?
No - I'm running xinerama between the cards without issue.

> > > I am looking to overcome Xinerama performance issues, especially when
> > > running java-based GUI apps.
> >
> > What performance issues are you talking about? I'm running netbeans and
> > eclipse for different projects all day long - no speed issues :-)
>
> Maybe, that is one difference we use pure java GUI environment.  I see a
> big difference between using a three-head system versus a six-head
> system.  So, I wanted to gain some performance by trying to get the
> Xinerama effect via hardware.
> Maybe, what I really need to do is to throw more CPU and memory at the
> Linux box instead.
Hmmm - if you want hardware support there is nothing more than 3 way on the
matrox parhelia - and those drivers still suck. Bought a card a while ago and
was never able to use it because of driver issues.
Anyway, there has to be another explanation than the number of screens in my
opinion. I worked on a setup for a while that had 5 1600x1200 20" lcd panels
and we didn't have any performance issues in 2D mode... 3D rendering of
course is an issue... what operations are slow or is it just everything
graphics? Are non-gui tasks slow as well? might the machine just reach some
memory limit because of the size of your x server?

Peter.