Forced FSCK on Bad Reboot

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Jul 8 19:18:55 UTC 2005

At 1:28 PM -0500 7/8/05, Mike McCarty wrote:
>I sue GRUB and FC2.
>
>I notice that somewhere along the way, Linux no longer does a
>forced fsck when coming up after a power outage reboot. It used
>to default to a forced fsck, but now it defaults to a minimum
>check and then mounts.
>
>Is there a way to get the default to be a forced fsck, the
>way it used to be?

You could always switch back to Ext2 if you want long checks.  This is
probably not a good idea.

>What is the rationale for the default being just to mount?

Through the miracle of Ext3, a full fsck is no longer needed in most cases.
The short check replays the Ext3 "journal"; I think it will do a long check
if the journal doesn't take care of the problem.  Replay should be much
more reliable than fsck trying to guess what would have been correct.