Boot failure on FC4 install

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jul 8 20:48:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Kam Leo wrote:

> On 7/8/05, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
>> Following myself up:
>>
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>>
>>> Booting from CD 1 produces the boot screen.  Pressing Enter produces:
>>>
>>>    ISOLINUX 3.08 2005-05-19 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying
>>>    to wing it...
>>>    isolinux: Found something at drive=9F
>>>    isolinux: Found something at drive=81
>>>    isolinux: Found something at drive=80
>>>    isolinux: Looks like it might be right, continuing...
>>>    isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...
>>>
>>>    Boot failed: press a key to retry...
>>>
>>> This happens with a CD1 that burned correctly and has been used to install on
>>> two other machines.  It also happens with a CD burned with boot.iso from the
>>> images/ directory on the same drive I'm booting from.  Same result booting
>>> with "linux nodma".
>>>
>>> The machine is an Athlon T-Bird on an ASUS A7V motherboard.  The IDE
>>> controller (hard disk) is a Promise Ultra-100.  The SCSI controller (CD-ROM
>>> and <blush> SyJet drive) is a BusLogic BT-958.
>>
>> This is definitely related to the SCSI controller or devices.  A similar
>> machine with an IDE CD-ROM boots with no problem.
>>

>>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Still open to suggestions or an answer to the question:
>>
>>         Why did FC3 work fine where FC4 fails so miserably?
>>

>>> TIA.
>>>

>> --
>>                 Matthew Saltzman
>>
>> Clemson University Math Sciences
>> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
>> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs
>>

> Do you have an existing OS installed on the machine that has problems
> with the CD?  If so perform a media check using that machine.  Your
> problem may be due to the CD drive not being able to read these FC4
> discs.  I would suggest that you try different media and/or burn the
> discs at a lower speed, e.g. 12X instead of 24X or higher.

FC3 on that machine has no trouble reading the CDs.  I can't even boot the
CD far enough to carry out the media check step on that machine.  The CDs
pass the media check with no trouble on other machines.  As I said, I've
installed from them on other machines, and a boot.iso CD that I burned on
the drive in the machine in question also does not boot on that machine.

How can I get the sha1sum of the image on the disc itself?