Dial-in server with FC

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Fri Jul 15 17:32:06 UTC 2005

Gavin Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 14 Jul 2005 23:50, Justin Zygmont wrote:

>>>Thanks for the offer Gavin, I appreciate it but I expect that this place
>>>would want to buy new.  On the bright side I think I may have found a
>>>Trendware external modem in the $40 price range.  In any case I have to
>>>put this on hold for a while and attend to some more pressing stuff right
>>>now.
>>>
>>>Would any of the internal USR modems be OK or just the external serial
>>>versions?
>>
>>i'd recommend using an external modem if this is going to be for a
>>server.  This way it will be guaranteed to work with linux, and you can
>>power cycle the modem without rebooting the server.  There are many things
>>you can do with mgetty, including incoming voice mail, fax, PPP, all on
>>the same phone line.
>

> I agree. My earlier recommendation was purely due to the fact the the OP asked
> for an internal modem.
>
> Gavin.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input.  I'm working on getting a
modem stuffed into the next purchase cycle.

I do agree that technically an external modem may be a better choice but
with an internal one has less connections (i.e., no power adapter that
_someone_ will unplug to plug in a radio or some such) as is also a bit
easier on the table/floor real estate.

Similarly the main FC1 server runs sans keyboard & mouse so that someone
can't just "take a look" and mess things up.

While I'm waiting for a "real" modem I'll still tinker with the two
internal modems in my free time (ha ha) as it somewhat bothers me that a
seasoned "computer professional" like myself can't get a driver to build
and run correctly on Linux.

Mike