Install analog joystick

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Mon Jul 18 07:08:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:18:33 -0500, Javier Perez wrote
> Hi
> I am running a generic 2-axis 3 button joystck that  sticks to the 9
> pin joystick port in the back of the computer.
>
> The sysetm does not detect it on startup.
>
> Javier
>
> On 7/17/05, Wolfgang Gill <wolfgang at rpi.net.au> wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:07:24 -0500, Javier Perez wrote
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I read the joystick.txt file and some other analog joystick stuff on
> > > the net but they all assume that i am compiling the kernel or doing
> > > Make.
> > >
> > > My question is very simple, How do I install the Analog joystick on FC4?
> > >
> > > I do not even have the /dev/input/jsX files
> > >
> > > I tried placing in modprobe.conf
> > >
> > > alias char-major 13 joydev
> > > options joydev js_an=0x201,0x33
> > >
> > > but no dice, It seems to be ignored on reboot.
> > >
> > > could somebody please help me understand the steps I need and why?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > ------------------------------
> > >  /\_/\
> > >  |O O|  pepebuho at pananet.com
> > >  ~~~~         Javier Perez
> > >  ~~~~                 While the night runs
> > >  ~~~~                 toward the day...
> > >   m m         Pepebuho watches
> > >                           from his high perch.
> >
> > Your joystick should have been automaticly detected and setup (Assuming FC4 is
> > anything like RHEL4 which also uses a 2.6 kernel). The only thing that you
> > would need to do, is to create a symlink to /dev/input/js0 as the 2.6 kernel
> > creates the joystick device there. So you need to create the symlink in /dev
> > where the apps look for it like this. (/dev/js0 is the old location which is
> > used in previous kernels)
> >
> > ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0
> >
> > The test apps and other programs like games which can use the joystick should
> > now find it.. There is another way to do it, but I'm not on my RHEL4 box right
> > now.. (This system here still runs RH9, so it's different).
> >
> > Oh, and you don't mention the brand of joystick your trying to configure. I
> > use a CH Products Combatstick 568 USB on my system, which it detects and
> > configures automatically, but I still have to change the location and/or
> > symlink to the new location like I mentioned above. And it works great in UT,
> > UT2K4 etc just fine. Or whether your running a Joystick port type Joystick or
> > a USB one like I have.
> >
> > Hope this Helps,
> > Wolf

Well, then you may have to create the joystick devices manually as outlined in
the Joystick.txt file as follows:-

Extract from the Joystick.txt file:

2.2 Device nodes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For applications to be able to use the joysticks, in you don't use devfs,
you'll have to manually create these nodes in /dev:

cd /dev
rm js*
mkdir input
mknod input/js0 c 13 0
mknod input/js1 c 13 1
mknod input/js2 c 13 2
mknod input/js3 c 13 3
ln -s input/js0 js0
ln -s input/js1 js1
ln -s input/js2 js2
ln -s input/js3 js3

In RHEL4 I didn't have to do all that as it was all done automatic.. Which of
course shocked the H?ll out of me.. Since I didn't have to setup/install a thing..

See how that goes.
Wolf