Core 4 Anaconda Problems

Rob Wright fedorarob at poncacity.net
Mon Jul 18 17:56:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:41:12 -0400
  Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> Rob Wright wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:30:52 -0400
>>  <fedorarob at poncacity.net> wrote:
>>
>>> This happened to me with core 3, and now with core 4.
>>>I'm installing
>>> along, fresh install completely. As soon as all the
>>>packages are
>>> transferred from the CD, anaconda bails out with a list
>>>of gui.py
>>> errors and tells me to reboot. Is anaconda damaged, or
>>>am I just
>>> gonna have to stick with FC2? I realize the Fedora Core
>>>is a test
>>> distro, but I can't test it if I can't even install it.
>>>I've burned a
>>> fresh set of discs, twice, isos downloaded from two
>>>different
>>> mirrors. My hardware is ok. If I install FC2 I get the
>>>exact same
>>> problem with updating from the discs. I can use yum to
>>>update to Core
>>> 4, but that is such a pain in the ass.
>>>

>> Just a little more information as I'm still working on
>>this problem.
>> I'm going through the suggestions that have been offered
>>so far, but
>> no luck.
>>
>> Going through a graphical install, the packages aren't
>>actually
>> "installed" it seems. The last line of the error that
>>I'm getting is:
>>
>> RuntimError:/usr/sbin/kudzu cannot be run
>>
>> I booted into rescue off the cd and I was able to run
>>kudzu-probe from
>> there. I decided I'd try to install once more, using the
>>noprobe and
>> text options. It's copying files now, but there's a
>>continously
>> scrolling message on the screen:
>>
>> rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
>>
>> Which also happens in the background in a graphic
>>install, but I don't
>> see it until the aborted install forces the reboot and X
>>closes.
>>

> I just did a search for "fatal region error detected"
>and most responses referred to the rpm database being
>corrupted. If you are trying to install, this sounds like
>it is not reading what was written to disks. By your
>description, this seems to be the case.
>
> WAG1:
> Try linux selinux=0 as a boot option. (I have no idea if
>this is preventing writing, but I disabled selinux on
>most development upgrades for safety during package
>upgrading with development.
> Try linux ide=nodma
>
> To get away from the guessing, thee is some documentatio
>somewhere forkernel options and what they do. Have you
>checked your hardware, cabling, ran memtest at boot  ...
>?
>
> Sorry not much help on this problem.
>
> Jim
>
> I'm stumped with your problem

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing has worked. To
summarize:

All cabling and hardware has been checked out.
memtest reports no probems in RAM.
ide=nodma and selinux=0 made no difference.
Same thing happened with Core 3 and was resolved only by
going back to Core 2.

So, I'm going to try and install a different distro, just
to see if it makes any difference.