Boot from memory-stick?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jul 20 01:48:44 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>Has anyone succeeded in booting Fedora from a USB memory stick.
>If so, could you tell us how you did it?
>(What did you put on the stick?)

If you are referring to thumbdrives, I formatted it as I would a normal
hard drive. The key is will your BIOS boot from a usb-hdd. I tried for
DOS and it worked alright, as long as I stay clear of disk defragmenting.
I had a linux installation boot up to a point, then it died once the OS
took control. You would most likely need to add the usb drivers into
your intird for your kernel.

Jim