Sender in mail -s command

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jul 21 08:15:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 10:03 +0200, Andreas Wahlert wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 09:35 +0200, Andreas Wahlert wrote:
> >
> >>i have script which sends e-mail to me. How can i specify a complete
> >>sender address like "boom at work.de"?? i see in my mailclient only senders
> >>such "nagios at localhost.localdomain". On my host ist FC3 installed "out
> >>of the box"
> >

> > Do you want *all* mail originating from scripts on this machine to have
> > a "work.de" address, or just mail originating from nagios?
> >
> > Does this mail need to be sent over the Internet? If so, you will need a
> > valid envelope sender domain instead of localhost.localdomain. What type
> > of Internet connection do you have (dialup, always-on, static/dynamic?).
> >
> > The configuration is best done in sendmail, which will then work for all
> > programs, not just "mail".
> >
> > Paul.
>

> It's only a host for Monitoring. There runs "Fujitsu ServerView" and
> "nagios" That means "work.de" is enough for all. The script send only
> notifications mail to my internal mailserver.
>

> Where can i do this configuration in sendmail??

# yum install sendmail-cf

Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and change:

dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl

to:

MASQUERADE_AS(`work.de')dnl

If you want to be able to rewrite "nagios" as "boom", you should also
add:

FEATURE(`genericstable',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl

just below the existing line:

FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl

Then create a file /etc/mail/genericstable containing the line:

nagios		boom at work.de

Then run "make -C /etc/mail; service sendmail reload"

I think that should do what you want.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>