Evolution Data Server crashing problem

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 22 16:28:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 11:59 -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:59:13 -0400 From: Bob Chiodini
> > <rchiodin at bellsouth.net> To: For users of Fedora Core releases
> > <fedora-list at redhat.com> Message-ID:
> > <1122033553.6021.13.camel at tweedy.ksc.nasa.gov> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at

> >Mike,
> >
> >I cannot provide much info, other than me too.  I see the data server
> >crashing occasionally too.  I've seen it happen more often when
> >accessing the calendar.
> >
> >I am using connector and attributed to back-end problems connecting to
> >our Exchange Server.  I rarely see it at home connecting to my IMAP
> >server.
> >
> >Bob...
> >

> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. At least I am not totally alone.
>
> My set up is quite different though. I am only accessing my email via
> POP3 and it crashes before I even start Evo up (in fact, before any of
> my Gnome panels come up).
> I have checked the obvious source for session applications
> (~/.gnome2/session) but that makes no mention of e-d-s at all.
> You did give me an idea though ... it might not be email related at all
> but rather the other groupware parts (like you are experiencing with
> your Exchange connection). I have it accessing a remote calendar that
> changed server names recently. I am not sure that I updated that.
> Pointing to a bogus calendar might cause some grief. I will look at that
> when I get home.
>
> /Mike

Mike,

If it happened here a little more often I'd try sniffing the network to
see if some kind of protocol error was occurring.  I believe that
connector accesses Exchange via it's webmail interface.  I suspect that
some http error is occurring that crashes the data server.  Usually
closing and rerunning evolution gets good results.

I've always believed that the data server was spawned when evolution
started, if it was not running already.  I do not think I have ever seen
the data server running after a reboot, but before running evolution.

As a test, I just killed the data server with signal 11 (SIGSEG) and was
presented with the "inform developers" dialog, but no information was
available in the debug info option, even after selecting update.  Try
running the "inform developers" option and see if you can get it to
forward a bug report to Novell.  Maybe installing the evolution-data-
server-debuginfo rpm will help
(http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/debug/ for FC3).

As another point, when I was running connector under evo 1.4, rapidly
switching between email and the calendar crashed the data-server every
time.

Bob...