SHRED for EXT3?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 17:16:20 UTC 2005

Michael Hennebry wrote:

> With metal-trimmed dishes, one gets the pretty sparks
> without the smell of burning plastic.
>
> What about HD's?
>

> As another noted, the best options are probably
> destroying the HD or keeping it away from bad guys,
> depending on whether you want to keep the HD.
> I don't know whether demagnetization would
> effectively destroy it.

A little more information:

I am doing contract work at home on my own computer. I have
transferred files containing trade secrets (source code)
to it. My contract states that at the end of the contract,
I must return all copies of their trade secrets, and all
equipment belonging to them, and "permanently eradicate"
all copies of their trade secrets which I possess but do
not return.

I don't want to take a hammer to my own disc, thank you.

Now, we are on very good terms, and I don't anticipate having
to take any action soon. But I would like to be prepared.

Mike