(OT) Bit Torrent usage ...

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 21:21:46 UTC 2005

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 16:02 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>>It can give better effective bandwidth for you on the download by
>>>getting data from a number of peers rather than from a single server
>>>with limited IO capacity and bandwidth.  It is also good form to
>>
>>leave
>>
>>>your client open after the download finishes to "give back" to the
>>>community by sharing your bandwidth.
>>
>>Umm, lessee if I understand correctly. (The figures below are the
>>actual rates wget obtained for me when I downloaded the FC4 CD
>>ISOs.)
>

> Seems it would depend on the number of peers operating, their aggregate
> BW vs that available from a single dedicated server, your ISP's
> limitations, the particular routing you are getting, load on the
> server, .......
>
> The operative word is "can" - YMMV.
>
> Phil

As I said, my ADSL modem reports downstream connectivity at
894 Kbps or so. That corresponds to 110 KBps or so. I'm
actually getting 60-70 KBps download rate. That's pretty
much saturation, I think. I don't see how using more than
one source would increase the download rate, when my modem
is already just about saturated.

You didn't actually address whether my understanding be
correct.

Mike