Cyrus-IMAPd logging (was: Postfix errors)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jul 28 13:54:37 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 28.07.2005 schrieb Roger Grosswiler um 15:29:

> > Again
> >
> > lmtpunix[16008]: IOERROR: fstating sieve script /var/lib/imap/sieve/e/
> > ej/defaultbc: No such file or directory
> >
> > that is NO error message to worry about. Having sieve activated means
> > Cyrus-IMAPd is checking for a filter (which is with current Cyrus-IMAPd
> > versions a byte code [bc] file and no longer plain text). If none is
> > found the message appears. This is normal, not harmful.
> >
> > Alexander
> >
> even my opinion, but i would be nice getting it out of the logs. sorry,
> had no time to google until now :-(
>
> Roger

2 solution paths:

a) Do not log all the debug messages.
To do so you need to change /etc/syslog.conf at least. I like to have
the Cyrus-IMAPd logging in a separated log file and not together with
log messages from the MTA. Unfortunately the Fedora maintainer decided
to set the syslog facility in the .spec to MAIL; default is LOCAL6. So I
rpmbuild rebuild the src.rpm with a different --define. My change to
syslog.conf is following:

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail,authpriv,cron,local0,local6.none
/var/log/messages

# Log all cyrus-imapd messages in one place.
local6.*;!local6.debug
-/var/log/cyruslog

If you don't want to change the logging facility you just have to tell
the syslogd to not log maill.debug, which is by default done by
following line:

# Log all the sendmail messages in one place.
mail.*
-/var/log/maillog

Change the line according to my example to be:

mail.*;!mail.debug               /var/log/maillog

b) Create a sieve filter. It is enough to have something in it which
would never do anything useful on the specific host. Placing a sieve
filter into Cyrus-IMAPd for a mailbox using the command sieveshell will
create the byte code file and no log entry will be created any longer.

Alexander

P.S. Changed the topic because all questions hadn't to do neither with
Postfix nor with SquirrelMail. A quick look into /etc/cyrus.conf shows
that "lmtpunix[<pid>] comes from:

  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

Serendipity 15:43:16 up 12 days, 20:15, load average: 0.10, 0.05, 0.05