Fedora Core 4 & SATA: Installs fine, panics on reboot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 22:00:13 UTC 2005

Fran Fabrizio wrote:

> I just installed FC4 on a new Dell Optiplex GX280.  Install went fine
> onto the drive, which is SATA.  On reboot, kernel panicked, unable to
> find any logical volumes.  So, the installed kernel must not have SATA
> support whereas the kernel that the installer CD boots must have.
> What's the easiest way to fix this at this point?  I've googled and
> checked this list's archives, but everything I've found thus far
> related to people who couldn't even install because Fedora's installer
> could not even find the SATA drive.  However, since my install went
> fine, I appear to have a slightly different problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Fran

I run a system that has two SATA drives of 100gb and is a Dell Optiplex
GX280. It uses BIOS level A04 and has the Intel 865G video builtin. It
was upgraded from tests for FC3 to FC4 and runs well. I use the smp
kernel since it has hyperthreading.
We also have some GX280 machines that have no PS2 cards and use USB
keyboards with later Intel video chips.  I have not tried installing
Linux on these later models.
Basically, GX280 seems to be a model which can come with varied
chipsets, with builtin video or video on a card. I'm not sure what
controller cards might be contained on the computers.
One thing you could try is to boot without rhgb in the boot parameters
to see if your system will boot. I boot with rhgb and have no problems,
but probably have a different chipset than you have. This might cause
the panic that you are getting. This is just an idea pulled from
postings where others ave found removing rhgb from their grub.conf to
allow the system to boot correctly.
What BIOS level do you have? Do you have any PATA drives? Do you know
what chipsets your GX280 contains? The controller type?
I'm guessing that it is either the video card, a kernel parameter or
because of the  LVM which is default. I have normal partitions and do
not use use LVM on my GX280 w/ SATA drives.
Just a few thoughts.

Jim

--
Someone else stole your IP address, call the Internet detectives!