Upgrade to FC4 from FC3 without having to re download and then burn cds and recreate partition?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 02:12:43 UTC 2005

Jared Buck wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:59 -0400, Sam Johnson wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I am very excited about the soon release of Fedora Core 4.  However, I
>>want to upgrade from Fedora Core 3 in an easier way than doing the
>>procedure that is required for the first install you do, downloading
>>all of the ISOs, then burning them to discs, and then use Disk Druid
>>to erase partition (and all of my lovely data) and recreate it.
>>I hear of alot of people saying that they upgraded, and am curious
>>about how it is done.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>--
>>Sam Johnson
>>
>>Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot
>>to the town gossip.
>>  - Will Rogers
>>

> Upgrading's fairly easy.  When you install, FC4's installer will detect
> a prior installation on your computer, and ask you if you want to
> upgrade or reformat and do a clean install.  when you pick update, it
> will copy only those packages needed to make FC3 turn into FC4,
> retaining all your data without erasing :)
>
> If you don't want to burn to CD, you can do a hard drive install,
> although I'm not sure how that would be done, I've never done a HD
> install before, and I'd like to do that for upgrading to FC4 so I don't
> have to waste precious CD-Rs.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me on how I'd do a hard drive install/upgrade to
> FC4 when it comes out?

If you have a partition that will not be used for the installation, you
make a directory and then download the iso images into that directory.
When you start off the installation with linux askmethod or use the boot
ISO, you give the partition and the directory where you downloaded the
iso files to. I believe that I burned the first CD and used it to boot
and start the installation.

There might be a how to on either fedora.redhat.com or one of the
helpful hints sites that will give a step by step account of the process.

Jim

--
Some Windows were made to be broken. And the one that I just repaired
was shattered.