Reinstalling windows on a dual boot system

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 1 07:20:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 13:00 +0900, sid wrote:
> Hi
> I have Windows Xp prof and Fedora 3 installed on my laptop. I need to reinstall my windows xp cos
> its showing its native behaviour..like system hang.. Now i read that if I reinstall windows..it will
> overwrite my current boot loader(GRUB)..and then i will not be able to boot linux. Is there a way to
> do it without losing my linux installation??

You could try making a boot CD (see the --iso option of mkbootdisk).
You'd then be able to boot from that after Windows had wiped out grub
from your Master Boot Record. Once back in Linux, you could re-run grub-
install to fix it.

Alternatively, you could skip the boot CD step and boot from the Fedora
installation CD in rescue mode and run grub-inatall from there.

> Also has any one tried to work on Fedora installed on a usb hard drive? how is the performance? I am
> considering buying a usb hard disk for working on linux on my laptop.
> thanks in advance..

There's a PDF linked from:

http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/

that will show you how to do it. Don't know what the performance will be
like though.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>