FC3: kernel panic with latest kernel and updates

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 11:57:28 UTC 2005

--- Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> Globe Trotter wrote:
>
> | Attempted to hide unit.
>
> Lol...
>
> | What exactly does all this mean,
>
> Dunno.
>
> | and how do I fix this?
>
> You might be able to boot by pressing 'a' at the grub prompt, and adding
>
> selinux=0
>
> to the kernel command line.  Press enter to boot.  But this error might
> well be a sign of something more evil going on of which this was just
> the first symptom.

Hi,

Setting selinux=0 does make the system boot al right, however the graphical
display manager never comes up. Instead I get the following message verbatim:

INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

and it repeats every 5 minutes.

What does this mean? How do I fix it?

At this point, I can log in as root or mortal user all right (using
Ctrl-Alt-F1) but can not get either "startx" or "xinit" as one of the commands.
I continue to get the respawning message every 5 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks and best wishes!