Upgrade to FC4 from FC3 without having to re download and then burn cds and recreate partition?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Jun 1 20:00:52 UTC 2005

At 6:54 AM -0500 6/1/05, Basil Copeland wrote:
>On 5/31/05, Sam Johnson <johnsonsamc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, all I have to do is download the FC4 boot.iso, burn it, boot from
>> the disc, and then what?
>>
>> Also, someone mentioned a hard drive install.  Seems like a good
>> idea... How does that work?
>>

>You will still have to download the ISO's for a hard drive install.
>The only real advantage is that you avoid burning the iso's to cd's,
>and the feeding and reading of the cd's during the upgrade.  You'll
>need to be able to access the hard drive, of course, either locally or
>remotely.

I tried to do a hard drive install, and ended up burning CDs anyway.
Although one is supposed to be able to put the .iso's on a FAT32 volume,
the installer seems only to allow paths starting with, umm, some unix path
like /foo/bar/, as anything I typed had that path prefixed to it in the
error message, so it seems to be impossible to refer to my C: drive.