Wireless suggestion - tired of madwifi

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jun 2 12:50:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 03:47, Jason Brown wrote:
> Try ndiswrapper, this is a ndis kernel wrapper that uses the windows
> .inf file as a driver. I have used this with quite a few different cards
> and have found it quite easy. Only thing I have found is I have needed
> to re-install it when I have installed new kernels via up2date. My work
> around was to manually download the kernel update and upgrade the
> existing kernel, up2date installs the new one seperatelty.
> the netgear wt511 uses the prism driver and is also quite easy to get
> going with out using ndiswrapper.
>
> hope this helps.

I spent a couple of weeks trying to get the Centrino 2200BG wireless
chip set to work in a Toshiba Tecra M2.  Finally gave up and bought a
Netgear WG511v2 card.  This card is based on a Marvell chip set.  Used
Driverloader which uses the windows drivers shipped on the CD to get it
up and running.  Took all of 15 minutes to get it setup.  Once
Driverloader was installed I used the standard network tools to setup
the card using WEP.

Wireless support is one of the last few problem areas in Linux that has
not been fully addressed yet.  One major caveat is to determine the
actual chip set used in the card you get.  Vendors tend to use different
chip sets in the same model cards depending on the phase of the moon and
prices they get from the chip maker.  I have yet to see a box list the
actual chip set of the card inside.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The next person to mention spaghetti stacks to me is going to have
his head knocked off.
		-- Bill Conrad