OS recommendations/Aging software issues

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:34:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

I work for a major defense contractor that is very tight with money at
times. Two years ago, before I came, they got RH 9 (bought or downloaded-
whatever). I guess that got deemed appropriate to buy at the time, and it
has been sitting here getting old ever since. The purpose of this server is
to run Symantec Manhunt on it as an IDS. They bought Manhunt at the same
time and never got around to deploying it until now.

Now I am about to deploy a linux server (Dell) and I am trying to figure out
which version to go with - RH 9, FC 1-3, or whatever. I want it to be
redhat-based since I am the main admin, and I am more comfortable with that
than on debian based systems.

On the other hand I am not sure what to do. My boss makes the argument that
we need to run the oldest, since he has seen versioning issues and conflicts
in this situation. However most of that is in the world of Windows which
does stupid things by default as we all know.

In this scenario my argument is <still> that we should go with something
more recent. I don't like the idea of putting something out there that is so
old it isimpractical by today's standards, that am going to think is stupid.
I guess there is some wisdom in being able to keep the age of the OS in sync
with the age of the software, but in the linux realm, that really isn't the
same issue as it is in other areas - right? OTOH I don't want to do a 'yum
update' on the box and not be able to get updates because the version is so
<frickin'> old. I think FC2 would be a good choice. Although it is still
old, it at least is a little bit ahead of RH9. An additional concern - even
if I were to deploy FC2, I would probably want to upgrade that too. Is that
gonna be a problem? Can I upgrade versions of Fedora (2 to 3 to whatever) on
a production box without a lot of problems? Will yum do that cleanly and
consistently without a lot of headaches?

Whatever choice I make is going to have to last for a good while. Does
anyone have any advice for this situation?

Thanks in advance

Marc