internal and external monitors, different resolutions?

Roman Maeder maeder+rh at mathconsult.ch
Thu Jun 2 20:26:39 UTC 2005

I run FC 3 on an ASUS M68Ne with a 1400x1050 screen. It uses the Radeon 9700
chipset which is well supported by the radeon driver of Xorg. Recently
I was playing with attaching an external monitor/projector. By default, the
same image that is seen on the LCD is also sent to the external monitor,
without any config changes. However, as not all projectors can handle the
high resolution, I am considering an alternative to lowering the resolution
for the whole server. The nicest would be the following: the external
monitor displays the top left 800x600 or so rectangle of the internal
screen. This would be great for presentations, allowing me to view notes
etc. on my screen but not displaying them on the projector. The radeon
driver's clone mode, however seems to imply the same resolution for both
monitors. Does anybody know whether my desired setup is possible?
I understand that I can configure the driver to show two separate views of
one large virtual framebuffers, but then i could not see the projected
image on my internal screen.

Roman

--
The most aptly named computer book: "Windows for Dummies"