Japanese Input with iiimf

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 05:51:02 UTC 2005

Mark Sargent wrote:
> Jens Petersen wrote:
>
>>   http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html
>
> On that page, it talks about locales. And, it
> seems to me, to use the input tool, u gotta be in Japanese locale, to use
> J. Have I misunderstood it.?

This is no longer true with modern Input Methods like iiimf.
You can switch to Japanese even if you running iiimf with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 say
using the gnome panel applet.  Though if you want always to input in Japanese by
default, you could for instance set

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

say in "~/.i18n".

> And, just in case, although I doubt it,
> that someone who wrote the faq is reading, that's a terrible faq..It
> speaks to you as if you are a techy person, right off the bat. An
> avergae user would be stumped, to say the least.

Thanks for the feedback - suggests on how to improve it are welcome. :)

Jens