changing motherboards

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jun 5 01:14:27 UTC 2005

david smethurst writes:

> hi all
> i am changing motherboards and cpu
> i want to keep my current load on the hard drive.
> can do a repair on it to pick up the chipsets on the board?
> both are 64bit boards and its fc3-64
> hard drive is sata and that will be the only thing which will be the
> same.
> any ideas?

You should be able to just swap the motherboards and boot up normally.

You're not changing the CPU time.  And you're not changing the boot device.
All device drivers needed at boot time should be compiled in.  As long as
the new motherboard's chipset is supported in the Linux kernel at all,
you're good to go.