Which SCSI module to switch to?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jun 5 02:33:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 21:12 -0400, neidorff wrote:
> On 6/4/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> > > Thanks.  I know I should have put this in with my original
> > > question....but.... where do I put the aic7xxx line?  The closest
> > > thing that I found in /etc was in modeprobe.conf which now looks like
> > > this:
> >
> > That's "modprobe.conf", not "modeprobe.conf"...
> >
> > > alias eth0 3c59x
> > > alias eth1 tulip
> > > alias scsi_hostadapter BusLogic
> > > alias snd-card-0 snd-cmipci
> > > options snd-card-0 index=0
> > > install snd-cmipci /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-cmipci &&
> > > /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> > > remove snd-cmipci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> > > /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cmipci
> > > alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
> > >
> > > Do I change BusLogic in the "alias scsi_hostadapter"  line to
> > > "Adaptec"?  Does that trigger picking up the right module?  Or do I
> > > change it to "aic7xxx"?
> >
> > That would be "aic7xxx". But you could first try out this module to make
> > sure it's the right one, by just running "/sbin/modprobe aic7xxx" (as
> > root of course). This should cause appropriate messages
> > in /var/log/messages to appear regarding the detection of your card and
> > some of the devices attached to it, and possibly also device entries
> > in /dev.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> Well, when I replace the buslogic card with the adaptec card, I still
> get a kernel panic even after editing modprobe.conf ! It sill loads
> the buslogic module.  Now I really don't know where the system is
> picking this up from.  This happens before the "Interactive startup"
> section of booting.  Will someone please tell me how I can get out of
> this mess?

Doesn't kudzu see the old card as removed and the new card as added?

If not, then you should remove the part for the scsi adapter (old and
new if both are there) from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and allow kudzu to
configure the settings for the new adapter.

You also may want to be certain which chipset the adaptec card has.  It
may be getting set as a BusLogic because of the actual chipset.