Audio as user not working

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sun Jun 5 11:59:14 UTC 2005

Just installed FC3 on a brand new system.

I can get sound if I log as root, nothin as standar user.
If I try to open the Audio Control I get the following error:
no element and/or device of mixer device was found (I can't move the
slider of the volume)

First time I get this behaviour in FC3 and no googling helped. Hardware
is recognized and I can hear the sample playing.
The audio device is Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio controller
with snd-intel8x0 driver.

Any hint?? shall I change any permission in dev files??

Tnx

Antonio