new email server

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 08:30:39 UTC 2005

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm looking at replacing my aging RH7.3+Exim 3 + Sophos + home-grown
> scripts with a FC3+Exim 4+ Sophos + whatever.
>
> I'm looking at virus and SPAM filtering.  Can anyone suggest good
> configs and options.
>
> Gary

Do you need to change what you are currently doing? Exim 4 would be the
natural progression. Exiscan is now built into Exim as of 4.5, so there's no
need to patch to get virus and spam scanning during data phase.

I use Exim with Sophos sweep, which works within the limitations of Sophos.
I think you can integrate Exim with any virus scanner which provides
success/failure via exit status, certainly there are many people using
Clamav with Exim judging by the messages on the Exim mail list. Exim 4 also
integrates fully with SpamAssassin so you can check for spam during the data
phase and reject it properly.

You will have some work to do to upgrade your configuration from Exim 3 to
Exim 4, but it will be worth it in the long run, Exim 4 has many
enhancements to Exim 3. I expect there are plenty of people on the Exim
mailing list who will help you with this.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555