MySQL 4 in Fedora core 3

James T. Carver jtcarver at skinartz.com
Mon Jun 6 18:41:22 UTC 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 09:27 am, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:02:49 -0500
> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: mysql version in FC3
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 02:21, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > >    This is a little confusing to me.  My tutorial is all based on MySQL
> > > ver. >4.
> >
> > FC3 included MySQL v3.x because of licensing issues with v4.x that have
> > since been resolved. However, since a large number of packages in FC3
> > are built against MySQL v3.x, updating to v4.x in FC3 would require
> > updating many, many packages, potentially causing a lot of problems.
>
> There are client compatibility libraries that are supposed to keep the
> old stuff happy with the newer server version, but waiting for FC4 is
> probably the easiest approach.  Mysql4 is also included in RHEL4 (and
> thus the free clones like Centos4).  Those might be a better choice for
> a production server.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

MySQL 4 works fine in FC3, The few dependency problems that were there were
solved with the compatibility library. I downloaded MySQL from their site and
had no problems at all. the programs using MySQL that I have are php scripts
(osCommerce and others) worked just fine, along with the apache modules for
mySQL. I can really see no issues for upgrading to MySQL 4 in FC3 for a
production enviornment.