Disable Middle mouse button?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jun 7 03:17:23 UTC 2005

At 10:40 PM -0400 6/6/05, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:01:42PM -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> It's on the mouse wheel, and when I (accidentally) activate it, weird
>> cutting and pasting occurs.  Googling I see this is normal, but not how to
>> configure it.  If I had a real middle button I'd probably still want to
>> disable what is happening.  I expect this is a question about X, but
>> pointers would be helpful.
>
>Once you get used to it, I think this form of copy and paste is much, much
>easier than the way some other operating systems do it, because it optimizes
>for the common case -- selecting automatically copies, and one click to
>paste.

Let's imagine that, as on my system, on your system this happened randomly
when you rolled the mouse wheel.  Would you "get used to it" or would you
want it to /stop happening/?  In any event, I want it to stop happening.

How can I disable the middle mouse button?  Selecting a 2 Button Mouse has
no effect.