Disable Middle mouse button?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jun 7 05:00:52 UTC 2005

At 11:53 PM -0400 6/6/05, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:17:23PM -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> Let's imagine that, as on my system, on your system this happened randomly
>> when you rolled the mouse wheel.  Would you "get used to it" or would you
>> want it to /stop happening/?  In any event, I want it to stop happening.
>
>Depending on what the problem was, I'd probably either get a non-broken
>mouse or learn to stop pressing down on the wheel when I turn it. The
>middle-click functionality is too nice to give up -- and worth learning some
>new habits to gain.
>
>> How can I disable the middle mouse button?  Selecting a 2 Button Mouse has
>> no effect.
>
>If you really want, try putting
>
>  Option "Buttons" "2"
>
>in the InputDevice section for your mouse in /etc/x11/xorg.conf.

No effect.

I then commented out the Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes" line.  I logged out
and back in with no effect.

I ran system-config-mouse and selected the 2 button mouse again.  I
rebooted, but still the middle button works (as does the wheel).

I commented out the Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" line and rebooted, and
finally had a 2 button mouse.  Unfortunately, the buttons were left and
middle.  No right button.

I've since put everything back and I'm back where I started.