What is krandom.kss and why is it running 100+ instances?

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Tue Jun 7 05:32:39 UTC 2005

Hi all

This morning when I turned on my monitors, head 1 didn't come out of screen
saver mode.

The system was also in great pain because of an unreasable number of instances
of krandom.kss

They where so hard to kill that I had to give up, do ctr+alt+f2, login as root
and type kill X.  After it respawed everything worked fine again.

What possible fixes are available for this?

* possible to limit number of same programs running?
* possible to tell KDE not to start that many instances of krandom.kss?
* other things?

Kind regards

Andy

--