Adding a new hard drive to LVM

Derek Scollon mailing.lists at scotwebsolutions.com
Tue Jun 7 19:40:34 UTC 2005

> Derek Scollon kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 7.
> kesäkuuta 2005 21:35):
>> Trying
>> step 6 warns me that running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem
>> can cause severe damage, at which point I chicken out. Is it
>> safe to skip to step 7 and run resize2fs without unmounting
>> the filesystem first

> It's "safe" because resize2fs notices that the filesystem is
> mounted and refuses to do anything :-)

>> or should I be doing something different?

> You must boot the system from a rescue CD so that you can work
> without mounting your normal root filesystem.

> --
>  Markku Kolkka
>  markku.kolkka at iki.fi

For some reason this didn't work as planned. Booting from the rescue CD came to a final step for either mounting the filesystems or not. Mounting them resulted in not being able to unmount them again (in use) and not mounting them in the first place did not show VolGroup00 in /dev at all. I solved it using the ext2online command.

--
Derek