Differences between Fedora and Red Hat 7.2?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jun 7 21:49:39 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 07.06.2005 schrieb yahootintin.11730620 at bloglines.com um
23:31:

> I'm a Linux newbie trying to get free from my Windows box.  We run
> Red Hat 7.2 at work and I want to install something similar at home.  Is the
> latest version of Fedora fairly similar to RH7.2?  What is the difference
> between them?

It is simply technical evolution, partly "product politics":

RH7.2 -> RH7.3 -> RH8 -> RH9 | break: Red Hat decided to stop the Red
Hat Linux product and the Fedora Project was started (merger with
existing Fedora activities mainly lead by Warren Togami)
FC1 -> FC2 -> FC3 -> FC4 (very soon out)

So FC1 could be called with some good reasons kind of RH10. All the time
since RH7.2 (it is rather old, EOL, neither supported by RH nor FLP) was
current new technologies are realized and integrated into the
distribution. If you are used to work with Red Hat Linux there is no big
barrier to quickly feel home with Fedora.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 23:43:48 up 14 days, 22:21, load average: 0.62, 0.65, 0.43